Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for services at SCS?

Currently enrolled, degree-seeking students of the University of Minnesota are eligible for services.  

What does it cost?

Full-time students can be seen for no charge. Part-time students can be seen for a small fee of $15.00.  We accept cash or checks payable to University of Minnesota. We cannot charge to student accounts and we do not bill to insurance. 

Do you provide walk-in counseling?

Yes, however, walk-in counseling services are reserved for students in crisis.

How long do I have to wait for my first appointment?

Our policy is to schedule you within two weeks of receiving your intake information. Certain times of the year, such as late in the semester, we are busier and occasionally need to place clients on a wait-list.

Can my parent or friend schedule an appointment for me?

No, only the person seeking counseling can schedule the appointment.

Can I fax or email my paperwork to you?

No, for confidentiality reasons we need you come to our office to complete the intake information.

How long does it take for me to complete the intake information?

The intake information is available on computers in our office. Allow 10-15 minutes to complete the information, and schedule your first appointment. You can also download the forms to complete the paperwork ahead of time and bring it to the office to schedule your appointment.

How often do I have to fill out the intake paperwork forms?

If you have not been seen at SCS for six months or longer, we will need you to provide an update to your paperwork. You can come into our office in 340  Appleby Hall to update your information.

Can I request a counselor?

Requests for counselors may be made, although we cannot guarantee that you will be seen by a particular counselor. Please let us know at the time of scheduling if you prefer a counselor of a particular gender or interest area. We will do our best to make you feel comfortable.

Will my information be kept confidential?

Yes, your information will not be shared outside the counseling center without your written authorization except if you:

  • state you seriously intend to harm yourself or another person(s)
  • report or describe any physical abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse of children or vulnerable adults within the last three years (this includes the occurrence of abuse or neglect to yourself if you were under age 18 at the time of the abuse)
  • report your use of an illegal drug for a non-medical purpose during a pregnancy
  • report or describe your sexual exploitation by counseling or health care professionals.  Also, we must comply if your counseling records are subpoenaed by a court

Can you write a letter for me (SAP appeal, registration hold, independent status, etc.)?

Student Counseling Services is unable to provide a letter of support and/or documentation on a student’s mental health without a history of services at SCS. Students should not pursue the use of counseling services at SCS for the sole purpose of obtaining a letter.  Students are encouraged to obtain letters of support from individuals involved with the student during the specified time period of distress, such as psychological providers, medical doctors, or other professionals.

Does SCS offer couples counseling?

No, we do not provide couples counseling at SCS.  Boynton Mental Health Clinic does offer couples counseling.

Does SCS provide counseling services for University employees?

No, University of Minnesota employees should contact Employee Assistance Program.

What if I have other questions?

Call 612-624-3323, we'd be happy to help you!